Haiti Earthquake

One of my most important new year’s resolutions this year was to do something for charity every month.
I already had a charity in mind for January, but when the Haiti earthquake struck I decided I would concentrate my efforts on that.

I’m sure all of you have seen it on the news, and it’s absolutely heartbreaking. I find it so emotional, particularly the miracles of people, including children, surviving for days trapped under rubble. One story I saw on the news followed a man whose wife worked at a bank. He never stopped looking for her and eventually found her still alive under the building’s remains. LA firemen were enlisted to help get her out, and although it took hours it was successful. Obviously I had tears running down my face, but I had to laugh when she was being carried off on a stretcher and a reporter asked her, ‘Did you think you would die?’ and she answered ‘No, why would I?!’ as it were the most stupid question she’d ever been asked.

One of the most amazing things for me within this tragedy is the fact that the rest of the world has done so
much to help. Disaster really does bring nations together, and in a time when all we see on the news is violence and hate, it’s a lovely change to see different cultures working together for the good of all, whether that’s donating time, skills or money. Unfortunately, due to living so far away, the only thing I can donate is money. I donated through Unicef UK (US version is here). If you haven’t already donated and can spare some money, then they take Paypal, debit cards and a range of other payment types. If you work you can also add Gift Aid on top of that. I recommend you use those links or Google a reputable charity or company (a national newspaper, Google, Save the Children etc.) so you don’t get scammed and so your money goes where it’s needed. I think at last count I saw that the UK had raised over £230 million, which whilst it won’t bring back the hundreds of thousands of loved ones that have been lost, it can help people to rebuild their lives and find some hope amongst the destruction. There are people who need food and water out there.

If even one more person donates something to the cause because of this blog entry, then it will be worth it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Haiti Earthquake

1. Manda says:

I texted $10 to the Red Cross as soon as I found out that was a way to donate. If everyone that can give, gives, that will make all the difference.

2. Nancy says:

My parents donated some the other day, &one of the programs I`m in at my school is planning something to fundraise some money for haiti. :) Hope you`ll have fun spending money today ;). Well, I didn`t have fun spending money, but I did have fun buying things ;D!
    .-= Nancy’s last blog ..the offspring- defy you. =-.

3. Claire T says:

I’m going to hopfully get around to my paintings on ebay and giving a percentage to the red cross Haiti fund (which you can do) I also have stuff that can be sold with 100% going to it. Just need to get my ass into town and get a bank account that works with pay pal! :evil:
    .-= Claire T’s last blog ..Nude Skincare Cleansing Facial Oil : Review =-.

4. Yin says:

Yeah its really heartbreaking but what sucks is not a small amount of that attention was given to the philippines when our people were raped by the typhoon ondoy, enweiz, naligaw lang ate, padaan!ö clap-clap po sa iyo. =p

5. wes says:

Bless you jenni!

6. Georgina says:

I think it’s amazing how that woman sounded very optimistic. I also heard about a man who got caught under the rubble and had an iPhone, and used multiple applications and a camera to treat his wounds. :’)

I’ve got money in my PayPal account so I’m going to donate!
    .-= Georgina’s last blog ..Hold The Door =-.

7. Kendra says:

Some of the stories are just amazing.
    .-= Kendra’s last blog ..BRIGHT LIGHTS KEEP SHINING. =-.

8. Michelle says:

I made a donation to Doctors Without Borders last week. And honestly, donating is so easy now – since you can text donations to various reputable organizations if you’re in the position where you can spare some money. I’ve read so many stories about people being rescued, people in the streets and waiting for medical attention, it’s so unreal and yet so real at the same time.

9. Annabelle says:

This blog is so sweet – I can agree with you when you say disasters bring nations together despite their differences. <3
    x

10. Simply Precious says:

I need to find a way I can donate somewhere online that I won’t get scammed.

11. Tara says:

It’s sad how a disaster likes this usually brings people together. Or when we have a common enemy and a common goal to read. But I guess that’s better than nothing, eh? :)

Still, it’s great that people out there are helpful towards those in need. This kind of stuff makes me realise that there are still hope for the humankind XD

(Yes, I’m very cynical. Too cynical.)
    .-= Tara’s last blog entry: Write-cation =-.